Welcome to the Kent City Health Department Birth and Death Certificate online ordering system. Requests will be processed between Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
GETTING A BIRTH OR DEATH CERTIFICATE
- The office only issues certificates for births that occurred in Ohio from 1909 – present.
- For births outside the State of Ohio, please contact the state in which the event occurred.
- Birth and Death Records in Ohio prior to 1909 are kept by the probate court of each county. There is NO statewide index to Ohio birth and death records prior to 1909.
New Birth Certificates
- Certificates for new births typically takes up to 2 weeks to become available. While Kent City Health Department Office of Vital Statistics strives to provide this service as quickly as possible, the information must first be received from the birthing hospital (or center) and uploaded into State of Ohio records system.
- The Office of Vital Statistics processes orders within 2 business days once the information is available.
- This office only issues certificates for deaths that occurred in Portage County, Ohio from 1909 – present.
- Information related to deaths prior to 1908 is not available within the State of Ohio records system.
- For deaths outside the State of Ohio, please contact the state in which the event occurred.
- For deaths occurring outside of Portage County, but within Ohio, contact the county's office of vital statistics where the death occurred or the Ohio Department of Health.
- If you do not know the date of death for your application, please enter an aproximate date or 01/01/1900.
Social Security Numbers on Death Certificates
Per Ohio Revised Code (ORC) 3705.23(5): For the first five years after a decedent’s death, a decedent’s social security number shall not be included on a certified copy of the decedent’s death certificate unless that information is specifically requested to be on the certified copy. Relationship restrictions apply and the acceptable proof is required; for details, view the Social Security Number Guidelines and Addendum Form (PDF), effective October 15, 2015.
To begin the order process, click on the links on the left
Back to the Kent City Health Department website